Thursday 30 December 2010

We did it!!!

Yesterday afternoon, John, Susan and I climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It was a glorious sunny day, with only a light breeze, and views for miles out to sea and inland to the Blue Mountains. We went up in a party of 14 with John leading the way (our guide was sometimes at the front and sometimes further back, either taking photos of us or encouraging folk.) Susan and I were pretty scared, but not the only ones. The bridge itself (the coathanger bit) is easy, as it has wide steps and you can't see down. The scary bit is walking along a gangway between the pylons,and, even worse, climbing four vertical ladders to take you from under the roadway to the bottom of the coathanger. however, we did it, and it's pretty exhilerating at the top. I have a certificate to prove it, and a photo (we weren't allowed to take our own cameras in case we dropped them - a pretty lethal weapon) This has done nothing for my fear of heights, but is a significant acheivement.
Yesterday was a pretty good day to be a pom in Oz, winning the ashes. I'll be in Sydney for the last match.
John and Susan fly to Hamilton Island on New Year's Day. I'll stay here with Marj and Errol, and go with them to my cousin Hazel up country, where I'll meet up with J & S again. I hope to be in touch before then.
Happy New Year, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Angela, Just to let you now you are missing you, and we have managed to catch up with your exploits! We hope you had a good Christmas and will also have a wonderful New Year. We're looking forward to seeing you on your return. God bless you and your family on the rest of your trip. Love and Best wishes, Agnes and Rob.

    ReplyDelete